Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tuesday, fun mixes with learning and work

Tuesday started off with a surprise. Clint decided to stay home! Not sure if it was from aching muscles or that he really did want to go on our field trip with us but either way we were glad to have him! I had planned our first "homeschool" field trip yesterday. It was to the local Apple Farm that just happens to be the place we buy our apples. We tagged along with a Kindergarten group. I was happy to see that Corb was on par with them in every way. The only difference I noted was that the group had not learned about senses yet, where Corb has. The kids learned how the apples were graded, pest control, different kinds of apples and how to pick an apple. It was really neat. They have a 100 acre farm, 30 of which being apples then 5 of peaches. They also have plums, grapes, and pumpkins. Each of the kids came home with a bag of 7 different kinds of apples inside. This fit in great with our "school" since I planned on doing a bit on apples next week. Now we have great apples to do our cooking with.


Corb picking his apple.
After our trip I decided the time had come. I had to bite it and buy some boots so I could work with some of the machinery around the place and even learn to chop wood. I know one can do this without the boots but my luck I would chop off a toe, and I like my toes.

I rototilled my half of the garden(we have a little competition going). Planted my Hairy Vetch(isn't that just the best word..HA HA HA!)that will be our winter ground cover for the garden. I also planted some grass that will serve as a divider for our new garden set up. We spread straw over the Hairy Vetch and grass. Here are the kids helping Clint with his side.
Finally, here is what it all looks like after 4 days of reworking. I just hope it all makes for a more productive garden in the spring. The middle strip of straw is going to be the new grass divider. The dirt closest to us is also going to be grass(we just need to get seed).

Some fun with the kids. Ozzy enjoying one of the apples we got at the farm.

Corb being goofy with a neck pumpkin.

Some beautiful fall color. These are leaves on one of the trees we planted. I can't wait to watch it grow into a large gorgeous tree. I am so glad to have a lot of color in the yard. I love picturing how it is going to look in years to come.

No comments: