Friday, August 15, 2008

Garden garden...tomatoes

Ah tomatoes, the fruit of the season. Fruit?

Tomatoes are coming in hard and fast. 3 days ago we cooked down and canned 10 pints of tomatoes. Yesterday we cooked down and canned 7 quart and 6 pints. This weekend there will be another batch to do. I would like to try and make a small batch of Ketchup and some salsa from that round.

I've been getting boxes of seconds peaches at the Auction every Friday to can. So far, we have 11 quart of them canned. With 3 more weekends to go in August(the month I will buy peaches) we should have a nice stash of peaches for winter. Then, we will move on to pears and apples.

Ada gave us a 5 gallon bucket of cucumbers ready to make pickles. Yesterday, I made 11 half-pints of bread and butter pickles using my Grammy's recipe. Today I am making sweet relish(it is soaking now). I want to start on sammich and dill pickles once Ozzy goes down for his nap.

Tonight, Ada is going to show me a fruit farm nearby that she got her peaches at last year(she did 80 quarts of peaches!!!). She is also going to show me a store that has tools, household items and Amish clothing. Guess where I am going for Halloween?! Last week we went to the Auction and she showed me a discount food store. Love those places!!

Lennon had his 3 year well child check yesterday. He is looking fab-u-lous. The Farmer offered to do flu nasal mist for the old children since they had just got the spray in and we were all there. We went for it. I wish all shots had a nasal mist option. It just seems so darn early for flu vaccines. I guess it is the middle of August already.

Matty and Emmy are back at school. Miss them.

Shark and Mousie's(formely known as Tonks) Mum is going to be having kittens any day. Ada asked us if we wanted the Mom cat. We said sure since she was a good mouser. As an afterthought I said to Clint, I bet she will be knocked up. Sure enough....Very much so. Shark and Mousie were fixed last weekend. The Mom Cat will be going ASAP after she pops this litter. I hope she doesn't have a ton of kittens. Maybe she will just have one big fat one?

No comments: