The poo has finally ended. Well, not really ended, there is still poo everyday, but it is back to it's solid form again. I was happy dancing yesterday when I saw that first morning solid poo. Funny the things you celebrate as a parent.
I learned something this past weekend. You haven't really lived until you've watched the Superbowl with your Amish neighbours. We really had a lot of fun.
Corby has been resisting learning to read, or anything involved with letters. He does not enjoy cuddling up on the couch to listen to a book. I talked with Clint, and, after some research of our own and a talk with his farmer at his 6 year well child, we made the decision to not push it on him. But, I do want to present it to him each day at least. I do not want to create a struggle with him that will end in a lifetime of hating to read. I've tried a few different ways of presenting phonics, blending, simple words, sight words etc to him but none of them have clicked thus far. It occurred to me the other night that perhaps he would do better with a workbook type attack to it all. He is very much a "let me work this out systematically" type of learner. He does enjoy "hands on" but really his passion(?) seems to be with doing workbooks. I found a program I would like to use for this area of school but before shelling out the $$ for it I thought I would try some cheap books first to see if this was going to be something that would work out for him. I picked up a few books last night. I showed them to him this morning(he was up at 6:30). He groaned at first when I told him it was about letters and learning to read, but after looking at the books he got excited. So, I've got my fingers crossed that this will be the first step on the path to a loving relationship with books.
In other news, Hadley said something interesting to me last night. We were on the way to her swim class. Corby and Hadley have separate classes now that he turned 6. On that note for a moment they were both upset that they would not be in the same class. But, she got through it ok. Anyway, on the way there we had this conversation:
H(out of the blue)-Mommy, can we go see Barack Obama?
M-Do you mean you would like to meet him?
H-Yes!
M-Do you know where he lives?
H-Yes, at the white house.
M-That's right! What would you say to him if you met him?
H-Um...Nice to meet you.
M-Good. Do you know where the white house is?
H-No
M-It is in Washington DC.
H-Is that very, very far from here?
M-Not really. We can take a trip there sometime.
H-YAY! I want to see Barack Obama!!
Thursday, February 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nikki,
Would you mind sharing the program you are talking about. Jagger is in the same boat as Corby and it's becoming an issue in school.
I want him to have a love of reading and books also, but we are at a loss right now.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Kellie
Kherring1@gmail.com
Post a Comment