Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm at school, and you're talking during class

I wanted to talk a little about school. I haven't been finding much time to update the blog because we've been pretty busy with school, canning/storing the fruits(and veggies)of our summer labor, and me with photography. It has been going fabulously though.

The kids just adore playing school. That is what they say..."Can we play school?" Hadley has been doing everything right along with Corb. Clint and I decided we would make goals for each month. At the end of the month we would review what we accomplished and either set new goals or keep working at the old ones. For September we decided to work on the 5 Senses, Money, National Symbols, Days of the Week, Letter Sounds, Dolch words and animals. So far, we have completed learning about senses. The kids picked that up fast. Money is coming along nicely as well. They can identify almost everything and know how much they are worth. I decided to identify which letter sounds Corb didn't know and go from there. I was actually surprised to find that he knew a lot more than I gave him credit for. He does have trouble with vowels so we are going to work on those. Corb can identify "I", "is" and "name". Which is huge for him not wanting/knowing anything before we started. He really doesn't like letters or reading. We discovered he really likes rebus books and stories. For the first time he actually tried to read along with us. It was exciting for him and us. I've since been on a mission to find more books written this way.

This weekend we will be taking a trip to Baltimore. There we will be visiting the Aquarium , Zoo, and the B&O Train Museum. This will be a part of our school for the rest of the month. We are going to have the kids take pictures, draw and tell stories about their visits to each of these places. I want them to pick their favorite animal from the Aquarium and Zoo to learn about. We will also touch a little on the history of Trains. I know it is going to be a lot of fun. Oh, and I hope to sneak in some good "urban" shots of the kids while we stay in town.

All in all, we are really enjoying school. I think to myself almost every day how glad I am with our decision to keep Corb home. Every time I see him outside playing, or cuddling up with me on the couch to read a book or discovering something new when he would be "away at school" my happiness swells.

No comments: