We are going to feed the birds this winter and observe them everyday. This is a semi-school related project as I want to have Corb draw pictures of the birds on occasion and I would like to keep track of all the different birds we see, what they like to eat and so on. So far, we've had a male house finch, 3 blue jays(they like the peanuts), titmice and a large amount of various sparrows and chickadees. I even bought a bird field guide so we would be able to identify newcomers. After some online research about what the birds like the most I feel armed and ready to buy some offerings this week at the store. Our feeder is right outside of our sliding glass doors on a small porch.
The sparrows, finch and chickadees do not scare as easily as the Blue Jays. This morning we sat on the floor in front of the doors waiting patiently for the blue jays to come and take the peanuts I had just put out. They fly up, grab a nut and fly away. One did pause long enough to eat one of the nuts. I thought he was going to choke on it, he just swallowed it whole like a snake would. Weird!
Once we get our new hard drive and I can once again upload pictures to the computer I will add some pictures of our set up and some of the visitors.
Friday, November 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment