Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Sorry I suck

Major farming updates.

1. We currently have 8 peeps. 4 black ones, 1 full size yellow, 2 banty size yellow and 1 full size red. They were all hatched last week. All from an experimental hatch. I collected eggs for a week(all Banty or Blue eggs). I put them in a carton in my root cellar. When I had a dozen I put them all under a broody hen at the same time. It takes 21 days for eggs to hatch. One of the eggs broke somewhere along the line. That took us down to 11. They were due to hatch the 3rd of August. All of the full sized eggs started hatching on the 1st. There were 8 of them(and 3 banty eggs). All 8 of them had little peeps. 2 of them died shortly after hatching. The Banty eggs started hatching on the 2nd. One of them had a full sized baby in it but never hatched. This was also an egg color experiment. It seems that most of the blue eggs will turn out black peeps(not desired by us) so I don't think we will be hatching anymore blue eggs at this time. Right now we are trying to hatch out hens that aren't black as the black hens aren't good layers. We plan on eating any black chickens and extra roosters when they turn 6 months. That is if Clint can grow a pair and butcher them by then.

2. We are having a massive harvest. We've been eating fresh corn on the cob every night for supper. We've dug up potatoes to eat. Making a lot of tomato products(and canning extra). Watermelons are just about done. Carrots with dinner. It is all so good and fun to just walk outside and pick supper.

3. We are getting 2 sheep. As soon as Clint fixes his truck(I am not going into it)he is going to pick them up. I am so excited. I want to get collars with big ol bells on for them. How fricken cool would that be? I don't know if they are male or female yet. I can't wait to pick out names for them. It will be fun to hear the crowing of our Rooster mixed in with the baaing of the sheep.

No comments: